Dear Monica, With all the recent talk about women having it all, I’m curious. I am a successful businesswoman who is at the top of her game at work, but not having luck in love. Suggestions please? —M.J., Gladwyne
You’re proud of your professional success and rightfully so. Being a powerhouse in the boardroom with clients who admire your brilliant ideas and hard work is something to admire. Understandably by the time you get home it is late, you are tired and the easiest thing to do is fall into bed alone. However, if meeting a man is on your priority list, you must be just as strategic about your love life as you are about work. Don’t neglect the possibility of a relationship just because it has not come easily. Even the busiest and most ambitious women can squeeze love into their schedule. Here are some tips.
- Treat your personal life as well as your professional life. You need to make time in your day for yourself and meeting people just as you do for your business meetings. First transform yourself to a “new you” look: highlights, manicure, new clothes, a well-deserved pick-me-up. Add happy hour to your calendar as well as getting your girlfriends to go with you to places where men are hanging out. That is not at sushi restaurants but rather at the gym, steak houses and sports bars.
- Use work to your advantage. Don’t just go to business meetings for work. Make connections and meet and greet with the possibility of a romantic get together. I know most people don’t like to date at work, but when you are traveling or at a corporate meeting, you could meet Mr. Right. Be open-minded about a little intermix between work and play.
- Just say no to work. In efforts to climb the corporate ladder, do you find yourself taking on too much work because you do not want to disappoint and say no? Stop over scheduling your workday and move that excess time into your social life. Push some of your work onto interns. In order for a love interest to develop, you need time away from the grind.
- Be social. Host a party at your house and have your single girlfriends all bring a guy friend. The more love connections you try to make, the sooner Cupid’s arrow will strike.
- Be your own publicist. Let your friends and family know that you are ready to meet that special person and that you would like to be introduced. Ask your coworkers to fix you up. Try on-line and off-line dating sites. The more avenues you pursue, the better the chance that there will be a positive outcome.
It takes work to focus on something other than your workday. Can you have it all? Absolutely! Smart, ambitious women can find love. It is possible and exhilarating having both the thrill of the boardroom as well as the bedroom. By using the above blueprint, you can start on a path of striking a balance between your busy professional life, and a gratifying personal life.